The Needle-Free Way to Get Fuller Lips
By Elise Minton Tabin , Executive Beauty Editor |
In the world of makeup, contouring is the technique to fake just about anything. Using darker shades of makeup and placing it on just the right parts of your face can slim your nose, create chiseled cheekbones and define your temples.
But, contouring isn’t limited just to these areas. Now, the new thing is to contour your lips. “While lip contouring is similar to other types of contouring in that it is accentuating and enhancing a feature, it is more about creating volume without fillers or surgery to add fullness rather than a slimming effect,” says Jenny Fitzpatrick, global education manager of Too Faced cosmetics. “You can use just about any color to contour your lips, but I’m loving a brown-nude shade, which is super on trend right now.”
Here, how to do it:
1. First, exfoliate and hydrate your lips.
2. Use a nude or spice lip pencil, like Too Faced Perfect Lips Lip Liner in Spice ($17), to line slightly outside your lip line.
3. Use the pencil to mimic the contoured areas of your actual lips.
4. Fill in your lips using a color that is slightly lighter than the color of the lip liner.
5. Add a bit of shine with lipgloss, like Make Up For Ever Super Lip Gloss ($17).
6. Apply highlighter—try Benefit High Beam ($26)—along your Cupid’s bow for some shimmer.