Going to a spa should be a relaxing, stress-free experience. But, there is some prep work involved to make sure you get the most of it. Plus, if you’ve never gone to a spa, you probably have some questions. Josie Feria, director of spa operations at Fontainebleau’s Lapis Spa in Miami, shares her 11 must-do tips:
1. Shave or wax the day before, as many types of body services may cause your skin to react if you just recently shaved or waxed.
2. Shower before going to the facility, in case they don’t have a well-equipped grooming area.
3. Leave your stuff at home. A good facility will provide all you need—with the exception of a bathing suit. You can achieve relaxation more easily if you are not burdened with a lot of personal items that you have to store in a locker room or take with you to your treatment room if no locker facility is available.
4. Wear comfy, loose clothing. Who wants to pull-up Spanx and slide into stilettos after you’ve relaxed? Plus, when you get a body treatment, your skin will most likely be very moisturized and can almost “stick” to your clothing.
5. It’s best to leave valuables—especially jewelry—at home.
6. Bring a pair of flip-flops. Walking barefoot in a public facility is neither smart nor fashionable.
7. If you have long hair, bring a hair tie. It’s actually hard for a therapist to do a great massage when he or she has to fight through your hair to get to the muscle group.
8. Grab that book or magazine you’ve been wanting to read. Oftentimes, that disconnect from your phone is good for the body and brain.
9. Leave your highly critical, you-better-impress-me attitude at the door. A little humility and grace works wonders when interacting with service providers.
10. Have a good, healthy meal beforehand. Massages and other spa services can affect a drop in blood pressure, so having some food in your stomach is highly recommended.
11. Avoid alcohol the day before. Contrary to urban legend, a massage isn’t good for a hangover—it may make you feel even worse!
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you