From sultry smoky eyes to bold lip color, the 2015 Golden Globes gave us plenty of beauty looks to fall in love with. We’ve rounded up our favorite makeup looks of the night, along with expert tips on how to pull them off!
Celebrity makeup artist Karen Kawahara went for soft, smoky shadows and pops of pink for the Veep’s star beauty look. Here’s how you can get it at home:
1. To prep skin, Kawahara applied Prevage Anti-Aging Daily Serum ($162) to the entire face for a dewy, radiant complexion.
2. Using a foundation brush or damp beauty sponge, she applied Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish Perfectly Satin 24HR Makeup ($39) in Sand Beige to the entire face. This created an even, flawless complexion that lasts.
3. Using her ring finger, Kawahara softly patted Flawless Finish Correcting and Highlighting Perfector in 02 ($28) under the eyes to conceal any darkness.
5. Kawahara created a natural shimmering base by washing the lids in Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Eye Shadow ($19) in Bellini.
6. She lined the upper lid with Beautiful Color Smoky Eyes Pencil ($19) in Smoky Black and blended out the color using the built-in smudger. While smudging, she created a “V” shape at the outer corner of the eye for a lifting effect.
7. Kawahara applied Beautiful Color Eye Shadow ($19) in Sparkling Sable to the outer “V” of the eye to build color.
8. She softly defined the crease with Beautiful Color Eye Shadow ($19) in Chocolate; blending the color into the “V” shape to create definition.
9. Next, she applied Beautiful Color Eye Shadow ($19) in Sugar Cube to the inner corners of the eye for a bright, restful look.
10. Using a gel liner, Kawahara hugged the upper lash line and created a subtle wing at the outer corner for an elongated and lifted appearance.
11. She then smudged Beautiful Color Smoky Eyes Pencil ($19) in Smoky Black across the lower lash line, building color from light to dark as you work your way from the inner to outer corner. For pop, Kawahara lined the inner eye with Beautiful Color Precision Glide Eyeliner ($22) in Slate.
12. She applied two coats of Beautiful Color Lash Enhancing Mascara ($24) in Black to the top lashes, rolling the wand as she applied for a curling effect. She also applied a single coat to the lower lashes.
13. She finished the eye look by filling sparse areas of the brow with Beautiful Color Natural Eye Brow Pencil ($22) in Brownette.
14. Kawahara softly defined the lips by lining with Beautiful Color Precision Glide Lip Liner ($21) in Rose.
15. She filled the lips with Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Moisturizing Lipstick ($25) in Barely There Matte, and added a hint of shine at the center of the pout with Beautiful Color Luminous Lip Gloss ($18) in Sweet Pink.
We were awed by Emily’s white Micheal Kors gown and the simple, yet elegant makeup look she wore along with it. Makeup artist Jenn Streicher shows us how to created her red-carpet look so we can get it at home!
1. To prep skin, Streicher started with Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream ($27) and Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment With Avocado ($29). Because Emily would be wearing a matte lip, she applied Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 ($7) to her lips.
2. Before applying the foundation, Streicher used a bit of the Kiehl’s Micro-Blur Skin Perfector ($35) in the T-zone. Then she applied the Diorskin Star Foundation ($50) in Light Beige followed by the Diorskin Star Concealer ($36) brightening concealer to cover any little imperfections or redness.
3. For her eyes, she dabbed on Dior Backstage Eye Prime ($28) over the entire lid and then mixed two of the lightest shades of Dior 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow ($62) in Cuir Cannage #796 over the lid. She also mixed two of the darker shades of the same palette in her crease, concentrating on the outside corners and a bit on the lower lash line.
4. Streicher brushed a bit of Diorblush Vibrant Color Powder Blush in Cocktail Peach #553 ($43), as well as dabbed on Diorshow Fusion Mono Eyeshadow ($31) in Chimere #821 over the entire lid to give it a little shimmer.
4. She then applied multiple coats of Diorshow Mascara ($25) in Catwalk Black #090.
5. For her lips, Streicher used Rouge Dior Lipstick ($35) in Grege 1947 #169 with just a bit of Rouge Dior Brillant Lipshine in Victoire #808 (New launch available on Dior.com March 1st) over the top.
Lupita gave us another reason to fall in love with her, sporting a flawless face and rich lip color. Here’s how artist Nick Barose pulled off her look:
3. He lined the eyes with Lancome Le Stylo Waterproof Long Lasting Eye Liner ($27) in Café Noir and Amethyst and Artliner ($31) in Aubergine.
5. Les Sourcils Définis ($26) in Brown was used on Lupita’s brows.
6. He prepped her lips with Kiehl’s Facial Fuel No Shine Lip Balm ($9). He achieved her gorgeous lip color with Le Lipstique ($25) in Sheer Chocolat, Color Design Lipcolor ($23) in Hit List and Lip Lover ($24) in Framboise Etoile.
Reese was a breath of beauty fresh air at the Golden Globes, with a simple yet elegant beauty look. Molly Stern shows us how she created the Wild star’s makeup look.
1. Stern first applied Caudalie Eau De Beaute Elixer, ($49) to invigorate Witherspoon’s skin.
2. Next, she massaged RéVive Serum Pressé Illuminating Skin Firmer, ($310) to give her complexion a natural, luminous and smooth base. She lightly applied RèVive Moisturizing Renewal Cream Retexturizing Hydrator, ($195) for added hydration.
3. Stern then applied Laura Mercier Silk Crème Moisturizing Photo Edition Foundation in Cream Ivory, ($48, April 2015) to ensure Reese’s complexion looked “clean and bright.”
4. Using Kjaer Weis Cream Blush in Abundance, ($56), Stern lightly contoured Reese’s cheeks to accentuate the colour.
5. She then added an intense flush to the apples of the cheeks, giving her the look of “vibrant heat,” by applying Laura Mercier Crème Cheek Colour in Blaze, ($25) topped with Kevyn Aucoin The Pure Powder Glow in Fira – Mango, ($37).
6. Stern’s inspiration for the eye was a “golden wash of colour” on the lids, with a smoky look underneath the lash line. Her goal was for the actress’ eyes to look defined and sultry.7. She first created a base using Laura Mercier Baked Eye Colour in Black Karat, ($24). She then smudged Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Gilded Gold, ($28) on the upper lids, “creating a brilliant sheen to complement her sterling silver gown.”
8. Then, she roughly lined the upper and lower lash lines using Laura Mercier Crème Eye Liner in Noir, ($24).
9. Lastly, Stern curled the lashes with Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler, ($29), and coated her lashes twice using Laura Mercier Full Blown Volume Supreme Mascara, ($25).
10. To complete the look, Stern created wine-stained lips by applying Laura Mercier Crème Smooth Lip Colour in Merlot, ($27) topped off with a gold gloss for a luminous sheen.
Besides giving us a swoon-worthy lob, Emma’s beauty look was just as fun and elegant as her Lanvin jumpsuit. Here’s how celebrity makeup artist Rachel Goodwin created her red-carpet look:
1. For her face, Goodwin used REVLON PhotoReady Airbrush Effects Makeup in Vanilla ($14) and CHANEL Le Jardin de Chanel Powder Blush ($55) on her cheeks.
2. To create her sultry eye look, she lined the eyes CHANEL Stylo Yeux Waterproof Eyeliner in Black Shimmer ($32), used CHANEL Quadra Eyeshadow in Tissé Riviera ($61) on her lids and finished with CHANEL Le Volume de Chanel Mascara in Noir ($30).
4. Emma’s lip color was REVLON Ultra HD Lipstick in HD Iris ($9).
Not only did we fall in love with Rosamund’s glossy, asymmetrical bob, but we also loved her glowing makeup look at the Golden Globes. Makeup artist Melanie Inglessis shows us how she created her red-carpet look:
1. Inglessis began by prepping with a mist of SISLEY Floral Spray Mist, ($100) to instantly refresh the skin. Then she used a drop of SISLEY Black Rose Precious Face Oil, ($235) and SISLEY Hydra-Global Intense Anti-Aging Hydration, ($255) for perfectly moisturized skin.
2. To ensure bright eyes, she applied a thick layer of the SISLEY Eye Contour Mask ($145), wiping it off a few minutes later for a radiant appearance. Under the eyes, she used SISLEY Phyto-Cernes Eclat Concealer, Shade 1 ($107). The metal applicator is cooling and helped to further reduce puffiness.
Pro Tip: Keeping the mask in the fridge overnight helps to invigorate the skin and reduce puffiness.
3. To create Rosamund’s soft, smoky eyes, Inglessis began with eyeliner in a taupe grey and applied it along the top and bottom lashes in a thick line. She blended CHANEL Illusion D’Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in Mirifique ($36) over the line and feathered it up to the crease and Ombre Essentielle in Ebony into the outer corner of the crease to add depth the smoky eye. For a sultry look, she used CHANEL Inimitable Mascara in Noir, ($30) on the bottom lashes.
4. For the lips, I then applied a thick layer of SISLEY Nutritive Lip Balm, ($74), wiping it off just before the lipstick was applied to keep lips moisturized. She finished the lip with CHANEL Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lipshine in Ingénue ($35).
Her red-carpet look was a bold as her character on the hit show Orange is the New Black. Makeup artist Janice Kinjo breaks down Uzo’s look:
1. First, Kinjo applied Giorgio Armani Fluid Master Primer ($57) to create a solid base for the entire look.
2. Next, she added Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer ($62) in #3 on top of Uzo’s cheek bones and on her forehead to add a little light under the foundation and create a dewy, bronzy effect.
3. Kinjo then used Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation ($62) to cover and contour. She used #10 on Uzo’s t-zone and under her eyes, then mixed #11.5 and #14 for shading. Kinjo blended and blurred using the Blender Brush.
4. A combo of Giorgio Armani Cheek Fabric ($46) #200, #506 and #509 were applied to the apple of the cheeks to provide a pop of color.
5. Kinjo filled in Uzo’s brows with a dark brown Giorgio Armani Eye & Brow Maestro ($34) in #2 to build a strong frame for the eye.
6. She then applied Giorgio Armani Eye Tint ($38) in #6—a green silver shade—to the entire lid to provide an allover shimmering effect. She used #7—a deep silver–in the outer corners to create a smoky cat’s-eye that lifted Uzo’s entire eye.
7. To open the eye further, she added Eye Tint #12–a champagne shade—to the inner corners. Kinjo used her fingers to blend the Eye Tints.
8. To build out the smoky cat’s-eye, Kinjo used Eyes to Kill Solo ($32) eye shadows #1 and #16. She lined the eye to build definition and ended with a few layers of mascara to complete the look.
9. Kinjo used a Giorgio Armani Smooth Silk Lip Pencil ($30) in #11 to cover the whole lip–matching the little bit of red in her dress to pull the entire look together.
Girls’ star Allison Williams brought a little bit of rock-and-roll edge to the red carpet, wearing bold dark eyes with her Hollywood glam hair. Here’s how makeup artist Gianpaolo Ceciliato created her red-carpet look:
1. Ceciliato began by massaging Giorgio Armani Crema Nera Extrema ($380) thoroughly into Allison’s skin to boost circulation and build luminosity.
2. He then applied Giorgio Armani Maestro Foundation ($64) #5 under her eyes and on her forehead, and #5.5 on her hairline, jawline and hollows of her cheek.
3. He finished her complexion with a wash of Fluid Sheer ($62) #1 –a bronzy hue–on her cheekbones.
4. To start the smoky effect, Ceciliato rimmed the entire eye very close to the lash line with Giorgio Armani Smooth Silk Eye Pencil ($30) in #4. He covered the lid with Giorgio Armani Eye Tint ($38) #1 (black) and #7 (gunmetal) to create shimmery dimension.
5. Then, using Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Quad ($60) #11, Ceciliato smoked out the look with a dark grey shadow and added a light beige shadow to the inner corner of the eye and on the brow bone to make the eyes pop. He added three coats of Lancôme Grandiôse Mascara ($32) to create an even bigger impact.
6. To frame the eye, Ceciliato used Giorgio Armani Eye & Brow Maestro ($34) #2 to define Allison’s brows. He went slightly darker than her natural color to add to the bold effect.
7. Ceciliato chose Lancôme Shine Lover lipstick in 212 Twisted Beige, a lip color with subtle shine to complete Allison’s look. The hue added enough color to her lips without competing with her bold red gown.
8. To finish the look, Ceciliato applied L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Spray ($17) and Set Makeup Extender Spray ($17), an air-light micro-diffusion mist, to keep Allison’s makeup looking freshly-finished all evening.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you