After what feel like years of waiting, Baz Luhrmann’s film adaptation of The Great Gatsby is finally here. We’ve been impatiently awaiting the day we can feast our eyes on all the glamorous 1920s looks—okay, Leonardo DiCaprio too. So if you’ve got a Gatsby-themed soiree in the works or just feel like dressing up, recreate Carey Mulligan’s Daisy Buchanon hairstyle with this step-by-step guide from CHI creative artist Anna Cantu.
- 1. Create a side part.
- 2. Smooth all of your hair with a flat iron and bend the ends of your hair inward using the iron.
- 3. Smooth flyways around your part and hairline using a product like Farouk Royal Treatment By CHI White Truffle Foundation ($29).
- 4. Part your hair into three sections: one in the back and two side sections using your side part as a guide.
- 5. Lift the back section and spray hairspray underneath. Tease the bottom layer towards the scalp and cover this section with the remaining hair on top.
- 6. Roll the back section up and inward at the nape of your neck and pin it up to create a faux bob. Repeat steps five and six on the side sections.
- 7. Shape your bangs on the side of your part with the most hair into a smooth wave. Secure it with a hair clip and spray with hairspray. Let your hair sit for about ten minutes and remove the clip. As a finishing touch and for extra 1920s flair, add sparkly hairclip like the one Carey Mulligan wears in the image above.
The good news about this look is that it doesn’t have to be just for roaring 20s-themed parties. “The Great Gatsby is a unique film in the sense that it is very much like a runway show at New York Fashion Week,” says Cantu. “While it’s meant to entertain, it goes far beyond that by being a style lexicon and inspiring women’s hairstyles for the coming season.”
Watch this video to learn how to create another retro Hollywood hairstyle.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you