Experts Reveal 11 Easy Tips for Getting a Naturally Radiant Complexion
Taking care of your skin isn’t the only way to get a natural glow. What you put on your hair and body, and the makeup you use, can make an impact as well. Here are 11 expert tips for achieving a lit-from-within radiance—you'll be surprised how easy they are.
You May Also Like: What Those Symbols Actually Mean on Your Natural Beauty Products
Use oils to your advantage.
Uplifting your mood and rejuvenating your skin are common benefits of essential oils, but they can also be used on hair to deliver repairing and smoothing properties that make strands really shine.
1. “I love using rose hip and sesame oils to combat flyaways and smooth frizz,” says celebrity hairstylist Jillian Halouska. “Chamomile is a great oil for soothing an irritated or itchy scalp, and rosemary can help fight off oils that make hair look greasy.”2. According to Halouska, you can also add essential oils into your shampoo or conditioner to enhance their effects. “I even add lavender into my coconut oil and use it as a nightly mask to not only wake up with silky hair, but also promote peaceful sleep as well.”
Embrace a fuller brow.
Full brows with the proper shape and definition can frame your face and give it a more youthful appearance.
3. Sania Vucetaj, owner of Sania’s Brow Bar in New York City, says natural-looking brows are a trend that’s here to stay. “Less is more, so set aside your magnifying mirror, let your brows grow out and only tweeze them once every few weeks.”
4. If your brows are patchy, a pencil can help you fill in sparse spots. Vucetaj recommends using feather-light strokes so you don’t get that drawn-on effect. “A pencil allows you to precisely outline your brows—look for one with a spoolie on the opposite end so you can blend and soften them, too.”
5. For brows that have good shape but need to be darkened or thickened, a brow powder can mimic the soft look of natural brows.You May Also Like: Here’s Exactly How to Shape Your Brows Into the 4 Most Flattering Styles
Keep your skin's surface smooth.
We’re told to exfoliate the skin on our faces regularly to help minimize signs of aging, but we can’t forget the skin on our bodies as well.
6. “I believe you should actually exfoliate your body more than your face,” says celebrity aesthetician Nerida Joy. “It increases circulation and brings oxygen to the blood, which provides a natural detoxification effect in the body.” As a result, skin is smoother and younger-looking.
7. After exfoliating, be sure to follow with a body moisturizer to replenish your skin. “If your skin is oily or acne-prone, skip this step or only use lightweight, noncomedogenic products so they don’t clog your pores,” adds Joy.
8. Joy says the easiest way to exfoliate is with a body scrub. “In the colder months, use heavier, creamier scrubs with almond oil or wheat germ oil to really nourish dry skin. When it’s warmer and there’s more humidity in the air, a salt-based scrub, which is more intensive and less hydrating, is a great choice.”
You May Also Like: This Exfoliating Mitt Works Better Than Any Body Scrub
Try a natural skin-brightening product.
Not all types of discoloration require prescription-strength ingredients to treat. Natural skin lighteners are also very effective.
9. New Orleans aesthetician Mandy Epley says natural skin brighteners—citrus extracts, licorice extract and mandelic acid are popular ones—are healthier options because they also absorb harmful UV rays from the sun.
10. One key ingredient experts frequently recommend to lighten skin is kojic acid. “It’s a white crystalline powder derived from a fungus in Asia and has long been used in Japan as a natural alternative to hydroquinone to reduce skin discoloration,” Epley explains. “It works by inhibiting the protein responsible for producing melanin, which causes stubborn dark spots.”
11. You can also help lighten your skin from the inside out with foods and drinks. “Easily available fruit juices, like orange, grapefruit, apple and papaya, can do wonders for your skin,” adds Epley.