5 Things You Must Know Before Getting a Bikini Wax
By Alison Abbey, Special Projects Editor |
For many women, it’s a monthly ritual. For others, it’s the great unknown. Whether you’re a bikini-waxing regular or a first-timer, we’ve compiled waxing expert and Uni K Wax Centers founder and CEO Noemi Grupenmager’s top tips for a smooth wax.
Let it Grow
To get the most out of your wax, you’ll have to let your bikini line go a little wild between appointments. Let it grow to about one-eighth to one-quarter of an inch. “This is the ideal length because it will allow the wax to get a better grip on the hair and pull it directly from the root,” says Grupenmager.
Healthy skin is key to a great wax. Pamper your skin in the weeks between waxes by exfoliating and moisturizing, but hold off for the two days prior to you appointment to let the area breathe. And, while sun protection is always recommended, it is essential if you plan to expose the area to the rays within 24 hours of the wax.
Don’t Go With the Flow
If you are extra sensitive during or near your menstrual cycle, you might want to avoid making your appointment around that time.
Waxing Under the Influence
Alcohol consumption “tightens pores, which can lead to a painful waxing experience,” says Grupenmager. So, if you think a little liquid courage will get you through your appointment, think again. Skip the suds until your appointment has come and gone.
Select a Style
When it comes to picking a dress, you know which silhouettes fit you best. Choosing a waxing style is just as personal a preference. Grupenmager shared the top trends in waxing, so you can make an informed decision before you arrive for your appointment.
- Full Brazilian Bikini Front and Back: removes all hair from the front of the bikini area to the back just before the start of your cheeks. “This is the most popular style because no one wants hair anywhere,” says Grupenmager.
- Full Brazilian Bikini Front: Similar to the above, but without removing hair from behind.
- Brazilian Bikini Front with Top: Hair is removed almost entirely from the front, but your waxer will leave a “landing strip,” or shortened hair in a thin line.
- Brazilian Bikini Front: A more modest approach, the waxer will leave a landing strip, as well as the hair closer to your more delicate areas. “Many like this waxing style because they don’t have to bare it all on the waxing bed, but they receive the full benefits of waxing the bikini area, which allows them to wear bikinis without fear.”
- Deep Bikini with Top: removes the hair about two fingers from the panty line and the top of the bikini area, leaving a small triangle. This also means showing less skin at your appointment, but keeps errant hairs from embarrassing you on the beach.