Let’s face it: there are some celebrity looks that we just don’t have the skills to try at home, like lining your waterline. We’d all love to have the innate ability to make our eyes look bigger with a few strokes of a liner or create a great show-stopping smoky eye like Cameron Diaz. Lining this sensitive area, however, ends up with watering eyes and smudged makeup much of the time. Fortunately, we talked to celebrity makeup artist Hinako (whose clients include A-listers like Leighton Meester and Judy Greer) and got step-by-step instructions so you can have Cameron-inspired eyes.
1) Finish your eye makeup without using any oily products. To make your waterline eyeliner last all day, try to avoid using anything oily on the eye because the oil will break down the waterproof liner.
2) Make sure to curl your lashes, especially if your lashes are straight. It helps to see and line your upper waterline.
3) Apply mascara. Hinako recommends applying mascara before lining the waterline because sometimes the mascara brush takes the liner away.
4) To apply liner to the upper waterline, first make sure there is nothing oily on your waterline. Next, put some gel liner (Hinako likes Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner and MAC Fludline) on a thin brush and wipe the excess product from the brush. Gently pull your eyelid up, tilt your chin up and look straight into the mirror. Finally, carefully line the waterline using the tip of the brush.
5) To apply liner to the lower waterline, as with the upper waterline, make sure there is nothing oily on the waterline and load your brush, wiping away any excess product. Next, look straight into the mirror, tilt your chin down and gently pull your down on your lower lid, exposing the waterline. Carefully brush your waterline and you’re good to go!