You may know her best as Khaleesi or Daenerys Targaryen, but when she isn’t busy sporting a blonde wig on Game of Thrones, Emilia Clarke is actually one gorgeous brunette. Most recently, she turned heads at the season three premiere of the hit HBO series with a smoldering smoky eye makeup look.
It all starts with prepping your skin since the quality of your skin can make or break your makeup look. Using O.R.G. Mineral Peel Face is a great way to get your skin ready for makeup. “It creates a smooth and supple skin complexion by gently lifting the dermal debris from the skin using the enzyme infused spray,” says celebrity makeup artist and founder of O.R.G. Skincare, Suzie Kim. “It provides a clean canvas for flawless makeup application and gradually brightens dark spots and blemishes.”
After you prep your skin, you’re ready for makeup. We asked Blushington makeup artist Molly Barnoli to walk us through how to get the look step-by-step.
1. Use your fingertips to apply a semi-matte foundation like Stila Illuminating Liquid Foundation ($38) all over your face. “Using your fingertips will help you create a soft, sheer, natural, and flawless finish,” says Barnoli. Next, use your ring finger to apply a brightening concealer under the eyes.
2. Apply Becca Mineral Bronzing Powder in Duende ($40) to areas where the sun would naturally hit like your forehead, cheeks, chin and along your lower jaw-line. Highlight the bridge of your nose and your cheekbones with a cream highlighter like Jouer Highlighter in Camellia ($20).
3. Finish your face makeup by applying a cream blush like Jouer Tint in Bare ($20) to the apples of your cheeks. “Smile in the mirror to find the exact placement which will be the roundest part of the cheek,” says Barnoli. “Apply in patting motion with fingertips to get a smooth application.”
4. Next, start your eye makeup by focusing on your brows. “The brows are clearly a focus point to this look,” says Barnoli. “Fill in your brows with a very stiff boar bristle brow brush to create a bold brow.” Start at the arch of your brow and work your way out towards your ear and then follow through and finish the brow towards your nose.
5. Use a smoky grey eyeshadow like Make Up For Ever Eyeshadow in Iridescent Anthracite ($20) all over the lower lid. “Press this color in with a stiff brush to enhance the pigment,” says Barnoli. “Then, use this same color with a smudge brush and run it along the bottom lashes to create and sexy dramatic smoky eye.”
6. Line your eyes with a black gel liner like Stila Smudge Pot in Black ($20) using a thin eyeliner brush and create a winged tip on outer corner of eyes. You can also apply liquid eyeliner. Smudge this same black liner on the bottom lash line a quarter of the way towards your inner eye. Be sure to blend it in with the eyeshadow you applied earlier to create a smoldering effect.
7. Finish your eye makeup with a couple of coats of mascara like Stila Glamoureyes ($22). “Apply in a wiggling motion to get optimum volume, separation and length,” says Barnoli.
8. Complete the look with a rose-colored lip tint like Becca Beach Tint in Watermelon ($25).
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you