What to Look For in a Cosmetic Dentist
By NewBeauty Editors |
When it comes to keeping our smile looking its best, brushing and flossing may not be enough. If you have concerns about the shape, color, length or positioning of your teeth, or if you are missing teeth, a trip to see a cosmetic dentist may be an order. Here's what you need to know when it comes to finding the right one for you.
The procedures they perform
Specializing in treating the teeth, smile, gums and jaw the treatments, these medical professionals provide: cosmetic tooth whitening (in-office and take-home trays), bonding, veneers, crowns, dental implants, full-mouth reconstruction/rehabilitation, smile makeovers, orthodontics, cosmetic contouring, gum contouring, gum grafting, white fillings and nonmetal dentistry.
You May Also Like: There's a New "No Drill" Approach to Treating Cavities
Who qualifies as a cosmetic dentist
Dentists who focus on beautifying the smile are known as cosmetic dentists. Those who go on to pursue particular branches of dentistry, like oral and maxillofacial surgery, periodontics and prosthodontics, for example, are specialists.
Questions to ask
Before undergoing any dental procedure, it's always smart to get to know more about who will be performing it. Here are five questions to ask during your consultation:
- How many procedures, like mine, have you performed? Can you show me before-and-after photos?
- Do you need to use anesthesia to perform my procedure? And which types can be used (like twilight anesthesia)?
- Is there anything that you recommend I do before the procedure to ensure better results or quicker recovery?
- What are the risks that are associated with this procedure?
- What is the recovery like? How can I maintain my results?