It might not seem like it, but summertime is just around the corner. It’s not too early to start thinking about what you can do to get your skin ready for summer and how you can keep it look its best. Smithtown, NY, dermatologist Marina Peredo, MD, offers these five tips to prep skin for a safe and (fun) season in the sun:
1. Pump up your sunscreen use. You might have just been using an SPF 15 in your makeup or daily moisturizer for incidental sun exposure throughout the winter, but in the summer use a true sunscreen that contains an SPF of at least 30. Try one formulated with Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mexoryl, Anthelios, or Helioplex and make sure to reapply every two hours during sun exposure. While you can never apply too much sunscreen, it’s recommended to use a nickel-sized dollop to the face and a shot glass worth to the body.
2. Avoid cosmetic procedures that have risks of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation like Sclerotherapy. A common side effect of the spider vein removal treatment is pigmentation or the appearance of brown, matting spots caused by residual iron pigmentation from absorbed blood cells. During the summer, skin is already susceptible to discoloration, therefore it’s not the best time to receive Sclerotherapy.
3. Get a superficial peel. It is true that a deep or medium depth peel in the summer is not ideal—the healing alone would not be fun in the heat, plus you risk post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation if sun exposure occurs. A superficial peel will not significantly increase sensitivity to the sun since only the upper parts of the epidermis are exfoliated.
4. Keep up with your injections. With increased sun intensity, we are likely to squint and frown more often resulting in fine lines and wrinkles. So, don’t let your neurotoxin injections wear off, if it’s been four months, get your treatments now.
5. Look out for any changing moles. The best treatment for melanoma is avoidance and early detection. So, be alert and if you notice any changing moles, see your dermatologist immediately.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you