Advancements in aesthetic procedures have enabled us to achieve natural-looking results without going under the knife. Jawline enhancement has emerged as one of the most sought-after treatments, as Pasadena, CA dermatologist Sara Gaspard, MD says jawlines are the “hottest area of treatment” in her practice.
JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC, a hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal filler, is the first-and-only HA filler FDA approved for improving moderate to severe loss of jawline definition in adults over the age of 21. With this specifically designed technology, patients can now define and contour their lower face to help achieve desired aesthetic outcomes. Ahead, we tap Dr. Gaspard, a seasoned board-certified dermatologist with more than fifteen years of experience, to delve into the world of jawline filler.
Dr. Gaspard’s experience with the JUVÉDERM® Collection of Fillers has allowed her to witness the evolution of HA fillers and their uses. With products like JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC for cheeks, a greater understanding of full-face assessment has been achieved, leading to more effective treatment plans. However, the arrival of JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC is what truly revolutionized the facial-contouring game. Dr. Gaspard explains that it is specifically designed for the jawline because it offers exceptional lift capacity and contour, providing much-needed shape and structure to the area.
Along with its specific jawline indication, JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC sets itself apart from the rest of the JUVÉDERM® Collection of Fillers through its utilization of Vycross® technology. “The unique cross-linking of the hyaluronic acid in JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC creates a robust product with long-lasting duration, offering results that can endure up to 12 months with optimal treatment,” says Dr. Gaspard. “Furthermore, it also provides a smooth, natural-looking result, integrating seamlessly into the tissue, and providing a soft, subtle, yet noticeable difference.”
In today’s aesthetic landscape, a defined jawline has become a popular treatment to achieve the look patients want from all angles. Dr. Gaspard attests to the popularity of jawline treatments—particularly jowl-minimizing treatments—in her practice, with patients from a wide range of age groups seeking this transformative procedure. “Jowling is one of the most common complaints I hear from my patients who are over 50, and by defining and providing structure to the jawline with JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC, aesthetic providers can reduce the appearance of jowls and temporarily restore definition to the jawline. Even younger patients—specifically those over 21 years old—with moderate to severe loss of jawline definition can benefit from jawline treatment with JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC.”
For those over 50, it can reduce the appearance of jowls, while younger individuals with diminished jawline definition can also benefit, especially in the era of the ever-important profile photo and selfie culture.
As an experienced injector, Dr. Gaspard emphasizes the significance of a full-face assessment in achieving optimal outcomes. Rather than focusing solely on one area of concern, analyzing the face as a whole allows for a more natural approach to treatment.
“With the debut of JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC for cheeks, we came to understand that midface treatment offers a more natural way to achieve more youthful-looking results,” says Dr. Gaspard. Now, with JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC we have a tool to treat the lower face, allowing aesthetic providers to assess and treat patients with a full-face approach.”
Patient selection and setting realistic expectations are vital components of successful consultations and treatments. Dr. Gaspard notes the ideal candidate for JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC is one seeking to improve moderate to severe loss of jawline definition, with an understanding that a complete facial assessment may require treatments in multiple areas. Anatomical areas may be interrelated, and your provider may recommend treatment in more than one area to achieve a desired result. Those who expect a permanent solution or have unrealistic outcomes in mind may not be suitable candidates. Additionally, patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding, have skin conditions, bleeding disorders, or allergies to the products should be screened accordingly.
A thorough medical history review, facial assessment, and consultation are the foundations of a JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC treatment. Patients are made comfortable with topical numbing, and the injection area is thoroughly prepared and cleansed. Depending on the treatment area, volume is added by injections using either a needle or a cannula. Downtime is typically minimal, with temporary side effects such as swelling, bruising, or redness resolving within a few days to two weeks. Patients can likely resume daily activities immediately, but should avoid applying makeup or facial products for at least 12 hours post-treatment, and should avoid strenuous exercise, sun or heat exposure, and alcoholic beverages within 24 hours post-treatment.
One common misconception about jawline fillers is that they create a bulky or masculine appearance. “In an experienced injector’s hands, filler placed at the right depth and in the right areas helps to achieve a defined, natural appearance without adding excessive volume,” says Dr. Gaspard. Fillers should enhance the existing structure, not alter it, and can create both feminine and masculine looks based on patient preference.
Misinformation about fillers often includes beliefs that they immobilize the face, similar to neurotoxins, or lead to unnatural results. However, with proper administration and appropriate product selection, patients can maintain their natural expressions and achieve subtle, natural-looking enhancements. Conversely, Dr. Gaspard says some patients want to correct too many areas with one syringe of filler, which is also a misconception. “Each 1 mL syringe is only one fifth of a teaspoon, and satisfaction with treatment can only be obtained with proper consultation regarding the quantity needed to treat each area,” explains the doctor.
Dr. Gaspard employs a “top-down approach” to facial enhancement, which involves correcting higher structures, such as the cheeks, before adding volume to the jawline with JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC.
“My typical full-face treatment for appropriate candidates can include correcting loss of volume in the cheeks with JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC, improving the appearance of undereye hollows with JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC, jawline treatment with JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC, and using JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC and Ultra Plus XC for any remaining lines and wrinkles around the mouth,” says Dr. Gaspard. “If lip treatment is recommended, I use JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC or JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC. Both products offer smooth, natural-looking and long-lasting results, however the products are different in composition. JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC is specifically designed to achieve a “lip plump” whereas JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC is specifically designed to achieve more of a subtle outcome.”
With JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC, a redefined jawline is finally within reach. Dr. Gaspard’s expertise and experience demonstrate that a full-face approach to assessment and treatment yields the best results, providing patients with natural-looking results. As the world of aesthetic procedures continues to evolve, JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC has firmly established itself as a first-of-its-kind in facial contouring.
- Data on File, Allergan; JUVÉDERM® VOLUX™ XC Press Release, 2022.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC Patient Labeling, 2023.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC Patient Labeling, 2023.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC Directions for Use, 2023.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC Patient Labeling, 2023.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC Patient Labeling, 2023.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus XC Patient Labelling, 2023.
JUVÉDERM® Injectable Gel Fillers Important Information
JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC injectable gel is for deep injection to improve moderate to severe loss of jawline definition in adults over the age of 21.
JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC injectable gel is for deep injection in the cheek area to correct age-related volume loss and for augmentation of the chin region to improve the chin profile in adults over 21.
JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE® XC, JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus XC, and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gels are for injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE® XC injectable gel is for adults over 21.
JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gel is also for injection into the lips and perioral area for lip augmentation in adults over 21.
JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC injectable gel is for injection into the lips for lip augmentation and correction of perioral lines, and for injection into the undereye hollows to improve the appearance of undereye hollows in adults over the age of 21.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Are there any reasons why I should not receive any JUVÉDERM® formulation?
Do not use these products if you have a history of multiple severe allergies or severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), if you are allergic to lidocaine or the Gram-positive bacterial proteins used in these products, or if you have had previous allergic reactions to hyaluronic acid fillers.
What warnings should my doctor advise me about?
- One of the risks with using dermal fillers is the unintentional injection into a blood vessel. The chances of this happening are very small, but if it does happen, the complications can be serious and may be permanent. These complications, which have been reported for facial injections, can include vision abnormalities, blindness, stroke, temporary scabs, or permanent scarring of the skin. Most of these events are irreversible.
- If you have changes in your vision, signs of a stroke (including sudden difficulty speaking, numbness or weakness in your face, arms or legs, difficulty walking, face drooping, severe headache, dizziness, or confusion), white appearance of the skin, or unusual pain during or shortly after treatment, you should notify your health care practitioner immediately.
- The use of dermal fillers where skin sores, pimples, rashes, hives, cysts, or infections are present should be postponed, as this may delay healing or make skin problems worse.
- The effectiveness of removal of any dermal filler has not been studied.
What precautions should my doctor advise me about?
- JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC should only be injected into undereye hollows by doctors who have completed the necessary training for this treatment area. To find a doctor, visit Juvederm.com/find-a-specialist. Doctors who complete the training will be listed with a symbol
- The safety of these products for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding has not been studied
- The safety of JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC has not been studied in patients under 35 years or over 65 years for cheek augmentation, or under 22 years and over 80 years for chin augmentation. The safety of JUVÉDERM® VOLUX® XC, JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE® XC and JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC has not been studied in patients under 22 years, and the safety of JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus XC and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC has not been studied in patients under 18 years
- The safety and effectiveness of treatment with JUVÉDERM® products in anatomical regions outside of their approved uses have not been established in clinical studies
- If you have a history of excessive scarring (thick, hard scars) or pigmentation disorders, treatment in these patients has not been studied and may result in additional scars or changes in pigmentation
- If you are planning other procedures including laser treatments or a chemical peel, there is a possible risk of inflammation at the treatment site if these procedures are performed closely before or after JUVÉDERM® injectable gel treatment
- Tell your doctor if you are on therapy used to reduce your body’s natural defense system (such as steroids, chemotherapy, and medicines to treat autoimmune diseases, HIV, and AIDs), as these may increase your risk of infection; and medications that can prolong bleeding (such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood thinners), as these may result in increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site.
- Avoid applying makeup for 12 hours after treatment and minimize strenuous exercise, exposure to extensive sun or heat, and alcoholic beverages within the first 24 hours following treatment, as these may cause temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the injection site
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC was not studied in patients with significant loose skin of the chin, neck, or jaw
- The effect of JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC injection into the chin on facial hair growth has not been studied
- Patients who experience skin injury near the site of JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® XC injection may be at a higher risk for adverse events
- Tell your doctor if you have already been injected with dermal fillers in the same area as the one(s) you are about to be treated for. This information helps your doctor decide when and whether you should get treatment
What are possible side effects of treatment?
The most commonly reported side effects with JUVÉDERM® injectable gels were redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, discoloration, and itching. For JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC, dryness was also reported.
These side effects are consistent with other facial injection procedures and most will resolve within 30 days. Your doctor may choose to treat side effects persisting longer with antibiotics, steroids, or hyaluronidase (an enzyme that breaks down hyaluronic acid).
As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.
To report a side effect with any product in the JUVÉDERM® Collection, please call the Allergan® Product Support Department at 1‑877‑345‑5372. Please also visit Juvederm.com or talk to your doctor for more information.
Products in the JUVÉDERM® Collection are available only by a licensed physician or properly licensed practitioner.
© 2023 AbbVie. All rights reserved. JUVÉDERM® and its design are trademarks of Allergan® Holdings France SAS, an AbbVie company, or its affiliates. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.