A San Diego woman who was being treated for eczema died after being given an IV of turmeric by her naturopathic doctor. Tumeric, the golden spice known for its long list of health benefits, is often used both internally and externally for the treatment of skin conditions like eczema. Tragically, 30-year-old Jade Erick was rushed to nearby Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas on March 10 after her holistic doctor, Kim Kelly, began administering a 250ml infusion of turmeric to help ease her symptoms.
You May Also Like: I Tried an IV Drip to Improve My Health and Get Better Skin
Erick, who according to NBC7 had taken turmeric capsules and shakes in the past, never had a turmeric infusion before. A medical examiner’s report disclosed that Erick had multiple health issues like hypothyroidism, pre-diabetes and a number of food allergies, including soy protein, lactose and gluten. Kelly had only administered 5ml of the turmeric infusion when he noticed she had become unresponsive. He called 911 and she was rushed to hospital where she was admitted to ICU before suffering a heart attack and brain damage. Sadly, Erick died six days later.
According to the autopsy report, Erick was diagnosed with “severe anoxic brain injury secondary to cardiopulmonary arrest, most likely due to turmeric infusion.” The medical examiner’s office has ruled her death an accident and Kelly is not facing any charges.
Although turmeric has been found to be beneficial for improving a number of inflammatory skin conditions, it’s important to consult with a board-certified dermatologist before undergoing any experimental treatments. Sadly for this young woman, neither she nor her doctor knew beforehand that a potent mix of turmeric with her underlying medical issues would eventually lead to her death.