Too Much Protein Killed This 25-Year-Old Woman

By ·

Protein, protein, protein is touted time and time again for its ability to help with weight-loss, but can too much be incredibly dangerous?

According to the NY Post, for 25-year-old Meegan Hefford, it was.

You May Also Like: 5 People Have Died After Doing This Weight-Loss Treatment

As reported, the Australian mother of two and bodybuilder, who was prepping for a competition, “died after an overconsumption of protein shakes, supplements and protein-rich foods.”

View this post on Instagram

Sneaky 📸

A post shared by • MEEGAN HEFFORD • (@meeganheff) on

Unknown to the Hefford, according to PerthNow, was the fact that she had “a rare genetic disorder that stopped her body from properly breaking down the protein. Urea cycle disorder, which affects one in 8,000 people, caused a build-up of ammonia in her blood and accumulation of fluid in her brain.”

While the disorder is rare, Hefford’s family is now calling for tighter regulations on supplements.

“I know there are people other than Meegan who have ended up in hospital because they’ve overloaded on supplements,” her mother told PerthNow. “The sale of these products needs to to more regulated.”

Find a Doctor

Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you

Give the Gift of Luxury

NewBeauty uses cookies for various reasons, including to analyze and improve its content and advertising. Please review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more about how we use this data. By continuing to use this site, you agree to these policies.