Wednesday night was the star-studded world premiere of Oz the Great and Powerful, The “Wizard of Oz” prequel, in Hollywood. Good witch, Michelle Williams and wicked witch, Mila Kunis stole the “yellow brick road” red carpet with smoky eye makeup that sent us over the rainbow. We got the details, straight from their makeup artists.
Makeup artist Sabrina Bedrani created a chic and sexy look for Williams. Bedrani drew inspiration for the look from the star’s embellished, white Prada dress. “I loved this look for Michelle. It’s sophisticated, yet still youthful. It complemented her hair style and dress nicely,” says Bedrani. “It was actually Michelle’s idea to go for a smoky cat eye.”
- Bedrani used a combination of Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colours to create the sultry eye look. First, she applied Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Cocoa ($24) all over the lid and along the bottom lash line.
- Then she used a brush to swipe Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Khaki ($24) onto the top and bottom of the outer corner of her eyes to add depth. She blended the shade outward to “extend the eye and give it a cat-eye effect” and applied Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Rose Gold ($24) onto the inner corners to brighten the look.
- Next, she defined Williams’ eyes by applying black liner onto the lash line.
- Then she filled the eyebrows with a brow pencil and defined the shape with brow gel.
- Bedrani added the final touch by applying multiple coats of mascara to Williams’ top and bottom lashes.
Makeup artist Tracey Levy created a fresh and light look for Kunis inspired by her Dolce and Gabbana princess dress. A golden hue “added richness that wouldn’t draw away from the dress,” says Levy.
- Levy applied Laura Mercier Eye Canvas in EC-2 ($26) to ensure that Kunis’ eye makeup would last the entire evening.
- Next, she contoured her eye crease lightly with Laura Mercier Matte Eye Colour in Café au Lait ($23) for a bit of depth.
- Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Rose Gold ($24) was used as a highlight on the lids.
- Levy then used Laura Mercier Crème Eye Liner in Noir and Violet ($22) to line the eyes “for a bit of drama.” She also applied Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye liner in Black Ebony ($23) along the lash line.
- Lastly, she filled in Kunis’ eyebrows with a brow pencil and set them with brow gel.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you