For years, women have been applying cold cucumber slices to their eyes to relieve dark circles and swelling. But, there’s another produce department staple that could take down the cuke as the reigning dark-circle champ: the potato.
Potatoes are chock-full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which help nourish and awaken tired, thin skin around the eyes. They’re also able to stay cold for long periods of time, which means no trips back and forth to the kitchen for more slices. Both the cold and the starch in the potato help to reduce swelling and inflammation, which will minimize dark circles. And, for an added bonus, potatoes contain catecholase, which aids in skin lightening, further reducing the darkness under your eyes.
Want to try it at home? Here are two ways to apply potatoes to your under-eye area:
1. Wash the potato.
2. Cut two one-inch slices from the center of the potato (do not remove the skin).
3. Let the slices sit in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
4. Take the cold slices out and put them over your eyes for 10 minutes.
5. Repeat daily if your dark-circle problem is ongoing.
1. Grate one or two chilled potatoes to extract the juice.
2. Soak cotton balls or dry makeup-remover pads in the juice.
3. Place the cotton balls or pads over your eyes, making sure they cover the skin underneath your eyes as well your eyelids.
4. Let them sit for 10 minutes.
5. Rinse your eyelids with cool water.
6. Repeat daily or twice a day if your dark circles are ongoing.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you