A facelift is a great way to rejuvenate your appearance. The results can last for many years but according to Eugene, OR plastic surgeon Kiya Movassagh, MD, maintenance and enhancements during the post-surgical period will help the results last even longer. “Plastic surgery is an opportunity to regain a youthful appearance that’s diminished gradually through the years,” says Dr. Movassaghi. “But without a consistent strategy for skin maintenance, the gains made through plastic surgery will be lost more quickly.”
Dr. Movassaghi recommends following these six steps:
1. Protect against further sun damage. This step is essential, says Dr. Movassaghi, and is especially important immediately after the procedure. Direct exposure to the sun should be avoided as much as possible by using sun block with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 to 40 daily.
2. Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Poor choices such as smoking or extreme fluctuations in weight will have a negative effect on plastic surgery results, undoing the gains made through the procedure. Exercise, hydration, and a balanced diet will go a long way toward maintaining a youthful look achieved through a facelift.
3. Enhance with injectables. While most patients will maintain a youthful look for years after a facelift, refreshing the results with dermal fillers is an increasingly popular option. Injectables can enhance a facial rejuvenation and can improve the appearance of lines in the upper face, areas that a traditional facelift does not affect.
4. Refresh with Exilis treatments. Exilis is an FDA-approved device for non-surgical tissue tightening and spot fat reduction. Using radio frequency wave energy, these treatments tighten skin immediately while gradually stimulating collagen production, offering long-term benefits that complement those obtained through a facelift.
5. Treat with laser resurfacing. Because the aging process inevitably continues, fine lines, skin laxity, and discoloration might arise after a facelift. Laser resurfacing refreshes the face by tightening the skin, reducing wrinkles, improving skin texture and tone, and encouraging the formation of new collagen.
6. Use professional skin-care products. Because the FDA regulates them, medical-grade skin-care products contain higher concentrations of active ingredients than over-the-counter products can. They penetrate deeply to create clinically proven improvements in the appearance of the skin. Since professional-grade products are only available through a physician, he or she can develop a personalized skin care plan designed to protect the results of a facelift.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you