Before doing a facial on your own, it’s important to assess what type of skin you have. If you haven’t been advised by an aesthetician or dermatologist, there are some easy ways to figure out your skin type, says Suzy Johlfs, general manager at Spa Anjali at the Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Colorado.
Look at your skin in good light after cleansing. Larger pores and shininess indicate oily skin. Tightness and skin flaking indicate dryness. More even skin tone with occasional oiliness in the T-zone and dryness in the cheeks, lips, and eye areas indicates combination skin.
- Once you know your type, follow Johlfs’s steps:
- Apply cleanser to damp face using gentle circular motion and rinse well with warm water.
- Proceed to a gentle granular product, exfoliate for one minute, and rinse or use warm damp towel to remove product.
- Balance pH and prep skin to receive nutrients with appropriate toner for skin type. Dab toner onto clean cotton ball and gently swipe across entire face.
- Follow toner application with nutrient-rich mask. Apply evenly over face and neck. Leave on for several minutes (follow product specific instructions).
- Remove with warm, damp washcloth. Apply skin appropriate serum.
- Seal in nutrients with moisturizer and finish with eye cream application around the eyes.
Johlfs likes the Eminence line at Spa Anjali because it’s organics and incorporates high quality ingredients.
“The uniqueness is the seasonality of the products,” she says. “This summer we featured a Strawberry Sweet Cheeks Facial that addresses the needs of all skin types, but [is] most especially beneficial for dehydrated skin.”
The Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Masque with Hyaluronic Acid penetrates into deep layers with calming rhubarb and hyaluronic acid, which can absorb more than 1000 times its weight in water for intense moisturizing on contact. Plus, gently exfoliating salicylic acid in strawberries clarifies refreshes skin with an overall youthful flush.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you