Nails are prone to a host of problems, mainly because they are constantly exposed to the elements. While most common nail woes can be solved with simple at-home care, more serious problems-like swelling, infection, crumbling or major changes in shape or color-call for a visit to the dermatologist.
The easiest way to keep nails healthy is to make sure they’re clean and dry, which prohibits bacteria from collecting under the nail. You can also make sure you’re getting enough of the following nutritional helpers:
- Vitamins A & B: Keep nails strong and hydrated, and prevent them from becoming brittle.
- Calcium: Helps to build strength.
- Zinc: Prevents weakening and encourages growth.
- Iodine: Improves the overall condition of nails.
- Iron: Keeps nails from morphing into abnormal shapes.
- Protein: Necessary for growth.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you