Southern California is synonymous with surf and sand. And surf and sand is synonymous with, you guessed it, the sun. There’s no place where this is more evident than in the beachside town of Santa Monica, where having a tan is like having a soul-everyone has one, but some just a bit more than others. OK, enough with the analogies.
While many women are bronzed and beautiful here at the NewBeauty at Fred Segal Store in Santa Monica, CA, they are way too smart to actually soak in the sun. No, no. In fact, some of the store’s best sellers are self-tanners and SPF. Often bought together.
One recent addition to the store isn’t new to the faux tan market, but is causing quite a splash among women who have tried every other body bronzing method under, strike that, out of the sun. ModelCo Airbrush Tan in a Can ($18) is flying off the shelves this summer at the NewBeauty store. What is it? It’s a tan, straight from the can-one of the first at-home airbrush varieties in fact. And just like the saying goes, it’s often imitated, but hasn’t quite yet been duplicated. Tan in a Can continues to be a beauty award winner year after year and customers using it claim it’s the best tan they have ever gotten from a can, says Jennie Avetisyan, NewBeauty at Fred Segal product specialist. “It’s not messy, it provides a deep golden pigment and an instant all-over glow-what more could a woman want?”
To apply this airbrush tan perfectly, CEO of ModelCo, Shelley Barrett, offers these does and don’t:
• Do exfoliate before applying
• Do shake the product before applying
• Do spray from 30 to 40 cm away
• Do use sparingly on knees, ankles and elbows
• Do wear loose, dark clothing and avoid tight-fitting underwear, once you’ve applied your tan-anything that presses on the skin may make the results a bit patchy
• Don’t moisturize skin beforehand
• Don’t apply tan if you’re in a rush
• Don’t apply tanning products in a dimly lit bathroom-seeing where you apply is key!
Also, “apply your tan within half an hour of showering-your skin is at it’s best to react with the tanning agent when it is clean and starting to cool,” she says.
NewBeauty at Fred Segal: (310) 394-8509
NewBeauty at Fred Segal Product Pick: Brad’s Ultra Peel Exfoliating Gel
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you