What are you planning on getting your mom for Mother’s Day? Flowers, spa treatments and perfume are usually obvious choices. But is that really what mom wants? Well, according to a new survey, no. What mom actually wants this year might be a tummy tuck or a breast lift.
According to the survey released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 62 percent of mothers said they would consider a “mommy makeover” that includes procedures like tummy tucks and breast augmentations, if cost was not an issue.
ASPS statistics reveal that the amount of women getting “mommy makeover” procedures is on the rise. In 2010, women have had almost 112,000 tummy tucks, an 85 percent increase since 2000. Additionally, there was a 70 percent increase in breast lifts since 2000 and a 39 percent increase in breast augmentations.
The ASPS also reports that while in the past older mothers were seeking these procedures, today there are younger mothers in their 30s seeking surgeries like tummy tucks and breast lifts. Today these procedures are more widely accepted and talked about.
If you are considering a “mommy makeover” the ASPS has these tips:
• Wait at least six months to one year after having your last child to undergo “mommy makeover” procedures
• Be specific about your post-baby body goals so that your surgeon can recommend the most appropriate procedures
• To optimize the final outcome, if you are trying to lose weight, do so before undergoing “mommy makeover” procedures
• Find a surgeon who is board certified in plastic surgery
• Ask to see before and after photos of your plastic surgeon’s recent work
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you