So you’ve put in the time and gone through the trouble of dramatically improving your smile. Whether you’ve had veneers applied or simply had your teeth whitened, now’s the time to practice smart dental habits to ensure the procedures you’ve undergone last as long as possible. Here are some top tips to keep your new smile looking great:
– Don’t use your teeth as tools and use care when biting into hard foods as you can damage your veneers–the thin, porcelain restorations that are adhered to your natural teeth to fix discoloration, spacing or alignment issues.
– Opt for toothpaste that’s designed for cosmetic enhancements, but don’t waste your money on bleaching products since veneers cannot be bleached.
– Up your dental visits to three times a year and continue flossing regularly to maintain healthy gums.
– If you’ve cracked a tooth or want to fill gaps, your dentist can add to your natural teeth with bonding. But keep in mind the putty-like resin can, indeed, chip again, so be sure to only use your teeth for eating and not as tools.
– Since bonding uses resin instead of porcelain, it is more apt to stain. Avoid highly-pigmented foods and drinks like soda, red wine, berries and coffee, or if you consume them, drink a glass of water or two afterward.
– Immediately after your bleach treatment, the product continues to work while the enamel in your teeth returns to normal. During these first few days, you may want to stick to eating only white-colored foods. Be sure to ditch your old bad habits for good, especially smoking.
– Opt for a professional-grade whitening toothpaste like Supersmile Professional Whitening System, formulated to keep your smile white without harsh ingredients that weaken enamel.
– If your teeth are sensitive after bleaching, use a mouthwash or toothpaste that has calcium in it to help harden the enamel.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you