There’s no doubt a balanced and healthy diet is beneficial to your overall health, but research suggests it’s also beneficial to your oral health. For a healthier smile, try following these tips courtesy of the American Dental Association.
1. To get a balanced diet, eat a variety of foods. Choose foods from each of the five major food groups:
breads, cereals and other grain products
meat, poultry and fish
milk, cheese and yogurt
2. Limit the number of snacks that you eat. Each time you eat food that contains sugars, the teeth are attacked by acids for 20 minutes or more.
3. If you do snack, choose nutritious foods, such as cheese, raw vegetables, plain yogurt or a piece of fruit.
4. Don’t skip meals. Foods that are eaten as part of a meal cause less harm. More saliva is released during a meal, which helps wash foods from the mouth and helps lessen the effects of acids.
5. Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste that has the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance.
6. Clean between your teeth daily with floss or interdental cleaners.
7. Visit your dentist regularly to help prevent problems from occurring and catch those that do occur while they are easy to treat.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you