Hot Workout Alert: Row Your Way To Fit

By ·
Hot Workout Alert: Row Your Way To Fit featured image

If you’re tired of your normal workout routine that consists of treadmills, elliptical machines, and whatnot, then it’s time to change it up. After all, when you repeatedly do the same exercise, your body eventually acclimates and you stop seeing results. That’s why I set out to find a fun new way to sweat and happened upon Indo-Row-a full-body workout that I got a taste for at a NewBeauty-sponsored event at Fred Segal in Santa Monica, CA, where celebrity trainers shared fitness tips and held mini workout sessions for shoppers.

After this trial class, I, along with our editor Anna Jimenez, set out on a month-long experiment of three Indo-Row classes a week at two different gyms, Revolution Fitness in Santa Monica, CA, and Studio 1-On-1 in Venice, CA.

The first class was with Josh Crosby, the creator of Indo-Row, who says, “the motto is to involve people in the same experience they would have if they were rowing on the water in a group exercise class.” The Indo-Row machine uses water as the resistance, which I prefer because it makes a welcomed soothing sound and is eco-friendly, while other rowing machines use large, noisy wind fans.

Rather than just rowing at the same pace, the instructors in the class take you through a series of “waves” and recoveries. They do this because it’s the quickest way to build endurance. The whole class is set up like a regular practice that you would get if you were on a rowing team-creating a competitive, fun atmosphere that pushes you to succeed.

I thought rowing only worked the upper body, but found that’s not the case. The truth is, 60 percent of the workout is in your legs, with the remaining 40 percent split between your core and arms. But don’t worry about getting bulky muscles, instead you burn fat and get more toned (as long as you’re eating healthy). The rowing motion works nine major muscle groups and mixes aerobic work with anaerobic work or like instructor Matthew Murawski says, “it’s like doing a squat while running a marathon.”

Another great aspect of this workout is that anyone can do it-from beginners to elite athletes. There were women of all ages in our classes.

The instructors take the time to learn everyone’s name so that they can shout out words of encouragement or tell you to adjust your form. It also forces you to challenge yourself, while having fun at the same time. It was really interesting to see how I could race against my own personal times and see my time get lower and lower, which was really encouraging.

In the end, I felt like I got stronger and saw my form improve. My arms and legs were more toned, and while I didn’t see any significant weight loss in the month-long trial, I was definitely burning between 400-500 calories per each hour-long class.

Related:
Fat-Busting Workout Gets You Fit in 4 Weeks
Transform Your Thighs In Five Workouts

Find a Doctor

Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you

Give the Gift of Luxury

NewBeauty uses cookies for various reasons, including to analyze and improve its content and advertising. Please review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more about how we use this data. By continuing to use this site, you agree to these policies.