Studies reveal that less than a quarter (23 percent) of women know the wide range of breast reconstruction options available. Tomorrow, October 17, is Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Day USA, a joint effort between the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and The Plastic Surgery Foundation, (The PSF). BRA Day is dedicated to promoting awareness and educating women about breast reconstruction.
“We want to bring the topic of breast reconstruction into the larger breast cancer dialogue,” said ASPS President Malcolm Z. Roth, MD. “Letting women know their reconstruction options before or at the time of diagnosis is critically important to improving life after breast cancer. BRA Day USA is all about inspiring women who are on the road to recovery to a full life beyond breast cancer.”
It’s easy to get involved, there are more than 80 BRA Day events taking place in the U.S. But if you can’t attend a BRA Day USA event in your area, don’t worry; there are plenty of other ways to show your support:
- Join ASPS Member, surgeon Frank DellaCroce MD, for a Twitter chat on October 15 at 8 p.m. EDT when he will answer important questions about breast reconstruction. Join in using #BRAdaychat.
- Join ASPS Member Surgeon Ron Israeli, MD, and his breast reconstruction patient, author and nonprofit founder Gina Maisano for a Facebook chat on October 17 at 2 p.m. EDT.
- Purchase Jewel’s song “Flower” on iTunes.
- Visit BRAdayUSA.org to donate.
- Follow BRA Day USA on Facebook and Twitter (@BRADayUSA) for the latest news on BRA Day USA, educational information, upcoming Twitter party news, details on events, and more.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you