Ever since we were teenagers we’ve known junk food can wreak havoc on our skin (we’re looking at you, pizza), but there are certain, less obvious foods that can also create excess oil in the skin.
You May Also Like: Foods that Can Prevent Breakouts
NewBeauty’s nutritional adviser Paula Simpson says that while anything that is high on the glycemic index (low fiber and high sugar) can lead to breakouts, these foods are some surprising troublemakers:
- Skim milk. Instead, opt for non-dairy options.
- Instant breakfast drinks. If you’re on the go, swap out for instant steel-cut oatmeal.
- Sherbet. To satisfy a sweet tooth, try a frozen banana.
- Cottage cheese. Hummus is a good snack alternative.
- Whey protein. If you’e looking for a way to add protein to a smoothie, try pea protein or hemp protein.
These foods, according to Simpson, can “aggravate acne flare ups, due to raising insulin-like growth factors and having hormone-imbalancing effects in the body.”
For clearer skin, stick to a whole-foods, plant-rich diet.