It’s cold, icy, and all-around uncomfortable outside but it’s not a free pass from exercising. It’s important to stay active, no matter the weather. “It’s hard to stay motivated in the winter. When temperatures plummet, the last thing we want to do is leave the comfort and warmth of our homes. But winter is not a good excuse to give up our fitness routines,” said Kara Smith, personal trainer and group fitness coordinator at the Loyola Center for Fitness.
If you need a little more incentive to get moving this winter, try these tips from Smith:
1. Keep a pair of summer shorts in the drawer and try them on every couple weeks to make sure they still fit.
2. Find an exercise partner. Schedule a time with a friend to exercise and get together for healthy potlucks and weigh-in accountability.
3. Find out what fruits and veggies are in season and discover new recipes you can share at the healthy potluck.
4. Purchase a gym membership. Most fitness centers have promotions going on in January .
5. Try something new. Purchase a new fitness video you can do at home or start a new fitness activity to keep you going till spring. (We like these interesting workouts.)
“Winter doesn’t last forever so stop hibernating and get out and enjoy what each season has to offer,” says Smith.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you