We’re happy to say more and more women are choosing self-tanning products and sunless-tanning treatments for bronze skin instead of the dangerous alternatives. But getting the perfect sunless tan can be tricky and making it last is contingent on the right care. Sunless Inc. sunless tanning expert, Ricky Croft has five tips to ensure the life and quality of your at-home or in-salon tan.
1. Croft says that clean, freshly washed skin is the first step to obtaining an even tan. Use body washes and exfoliators that don’t contain any oils, since these ingredients can impede the tan’s development. Starting with a clean palette also means a sunless tan will fade uniformly.
2. Croft recommends shaving at least 24-48 hours prior to sunless tanning in order to give the skin’s pores time to close and to help ensure an even tan. Shaving closes the cells and makes skin very tight—therefore making skin unsusceptible to absorbing the tanner if done too close before application.
3. Use sunless tanners sparingly around rough and dry areas such as knees, elbows and ankles, as these areas tend to darken more quickly. Apply a petroleum-based product to cuticles and nail beds to avoid discoloration. Be cautious and take added care of parched skin between applications during the winter.
4. Don’t overreact about slow color development, as full results can take anywhere from one to three hours to begin to show, and the entire process can last from eight to 12 hours. Wait a full day before you judge your spray tan, then head back to the salon or reapply another layer at home.
5. Extend the glow with follow up products Croft recommends products from the SunlessPRO at-home tanning line, which are specially formulated to extend tans by replenishing skin and subtly deepening color.
What’s your best sunless tanning tip?
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you