Think washing your face is as easy as splashing on some soap and water? Think again. If you really want to properly cleanse there’s more to it from the ingredients in your cleanser to the temperature of your water. “It’s important for people to treat the face with care. Never scrub the skin or use harsh products as doing so irritates the skin, which makes skin look worse,” says Chestnut Hill, MA dermatologist Thomas E. Rohrer, MD. For healthy skin that glows, Dr. Rohrer recommends people follow these simple tips:
1. Use a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser that does not contain alcohol.
2. Wet your face with lukewarm water and use your fingertips to apply cleanser. Using a washcloth, mesh sponge or anything other than your fingertips can irritate your skin.
3. Resist the temptation to scrub your skin as scrubbing irritates the skin.
4. Rinse with lukewarm water, and pat dry with a soft towel.
5. Apply moisturizer if your skin is dry or itchy. Be gentle when applying any cream around your eyes so you do not pull too hard on this delicate skin.
6. Limit washing to twice a day and after sweating. Wash your face once in the morning and once at night as well as after sweating heavily. Perspiration, especially when wearing a hat or helmet, irritates the skin. Wash your skin as soon as possible after sweating.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you