Varicose veins are swollen veins that usually affect the leg area. They’re not dangerous or unhealthy yet they cause many women distress and a feeling of insecurity when wearing shorts and dresses. NewBeauty readers are always asking if there is a way to prevent these stubborn and often painful veins from forming…
We hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately, the answer is no. Varicose veins cannot be prevented. But if it makes you feel any better, about half the women in the United States suffer from some type of vein problems.
So while you may not be able to keep them from forming, there are steps you can take to stop them from getting worse. The U.S. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute suggests these prevention tips:
- Do not stand or sit for long periods without interruption.
- Don’t cross your legs while seated.
- Elevate your legs when sitting or lying down, keeping them raised above your heart.
- Get plenty of regular physical activity, strengthening the muscles in your legs.
- Lose any extra weight to help improve blood flow.
- Do not wear tight clothes, especially those that are constricting around the waist, groin or thighs.
- If your doctor says it’s a good idea, wear compression hose to help keep blood from pooling.
And better yet, if you want to get rid of those unsightly veins, there are surgical vein treatments. Interested? Learn more about what to expect from our experts. Let us know, how have you treated your leg veins?
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you