5 Secrets To Youthful-Looking Hair
By Shellie Terry Benson |
Reaching a certain age shouldn't mean you have to chop off your long, flowing locks into a conservative, so-called age-appropriate bob. You can rock long hairstyles, like 39-year-old actress Sofia Vergara, but it takes some discipline and maintenance. Sporting sexy, long hair can give you a confidence boost, making all the effort more than worth it. Here are five necessary steps you need to pull it off:
1. Thicken up. The size of the hair shaft shrinks with age, so some thinning is inevitable. However, adding a supplement like biotin, a water-soluble B vitamin, to your diet will help your hair grow thicker. Also, ask your hairstylist to cut your hair so that it angles around your face, adding dimension and movement that looks more youthful.
2. Don't go to extremes. Sure, blondes have more fun, but overbleaching will age your face because your hair color lacks warmth. On the other hand, a superdark color will look severe and give you a “witchy” appearance. Add soft highlights around the face for a sunkissed effect that makes you look alive.
3. Get shiny. With aging hair and texture changes come frizzier locks. Give your hair as much attention as you do your face, and hit it with a healthy dose of moisture. Alterna's Caviar Anti-Aging 3 Minute Shine Boost was formulated just for this reason.
4. Fix your diet. When your hair is healthy, it will lie flat and shine. However, if you're low on protein, the hair cuticle will gnarl and look dull. Eat more lean protein like poultry and fish, like salmon, and stay away from processed foods.
5. Lay off the flat iron. You can see the breakage at the end of your hair when you flat iron, but did you know that damage can reach all the way to the hair shaft? Be sure to use a protective product before flat ironing, and try to go without at least a few days a week. A safer alternative may be a straightening system with natural ingredients, like Keratin Earth's Hair Straightening & Smoothing System, which includes shampoo, conditioner, straightening therapy and a conditioning mask.