Clues For A Successful Cleanse
By NewBeauty Staff |
If you're stressed, sluggish or feel like you can't shed those extra pounds, it may be time to detoxify your system. Cleansing can neutralize acids and other toxins like sugars, chemicals and food additives, releasing them from tissues and flushing them out of the body.
Are you thinking about starting a cleanse? Krista Haynes, the Resident Dietician at COMO Shambhala Estate in Bali offers the following tips for a successful detox:
• Raw foods are oftentimes harder for people to digest, however they contain beneficial enzymes that aid in metabolism. Cooking denatures these enzymes, which makes them easier to digest. I would recommend eating raw foods more in the early part of the day for breakfast and lunch when our internal heat/metabolism is at its highest and consume cooked foods at night. This allows the body to also utilize saved energy for rejuvenation during slumber.
• Eat mindfully during a cleanse. Pay attention to how your body reacts to the foods and juices. You do not need to finish every bite for fear you may “starve.” Listen to hunger and fullness cues to adjust intake accordingly to fit your needs.
• Choose more fruit-based juices in the early part of the day and more vegetable-based juices in the evening. This will help to balance blood sugar levels and prevent cravings or sugar crashes.
• Drink plenty of water in addition to the juices.
• Choose organic, fresh produce when possible. If not available, you may wish to peel or wash prior to juicing/eating.
• Eliminate caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, dairy, meat, poultry, fish, eggs and added sugars. These “nasty” foods are difficult to digest and/or introduce toxins into our body, which we are trying to eliminate.