You’re sitting by the pool, drink in hand: is it beer, wine or liquor? The alcoholic beverage you choose can make a big difference in the size of your waistline, especially if you’re having more than one a day, and in the summer, that’s typical for many of us. If you’ve ever wondered where your drink of choice falls on the calorie spectrum (we’re talking the basics here; no added mixers like soda, juice, etc), HuffPost reported a list of 13 drinks ranked from the highest calorie count to the lowest to help you out. Personally, I was surprised to see where red wine landed in the bunch; see for yourself below.
You May Also Like: The Best Cocktails for Your Skin
13. Beer, Pale Ale: 175 calories for 12 ounces (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale)
12. Beer, Lager: 170 calories for 12 ounces (Sam Adams Boston Lager)
11. Red Wine: 160 calories for 5 ounces (Cabernet Sauvignon from France)
You May Also Like: Wine Bottle Lipsticks Are Real—And Yes, You Do Need Them
10. White Wine: 160 calories for 5 ounces (German Auclese Riesling)
Note: White wines vary like red ones, but anywhere from 121–190 calories is standard.
9. Hard Apple Cider: 150 calories for 12 ounces (Angry Orchard Crisp Apple)
8. Tequila: 104 calories for 1.5 ounces (Jose Cuervo Gold)
7. Whiskey: 104 calories for 1.5 ounces (Jack Daniels)
6. Vodka: 101 calories for 1.5 ounces (Absolute Vodka)
5. Rosé: 100 calories for 5 ounces (Echo Falls)
4. Champagne: 100 calories for 3.4 ounces (Moët Champagne)
Note: Although it’s a lower-calorie option than the wines listed, champagne is typically served in fewer ounces, so you may actually find that you finish it faster and drink more glasses of it in the end.
3. Gin: 97 calories for 1.5 ounces (Hendrick’s Gin)
2. Light Beer: 96 calories for 12 ounces (Miller Lite; other brands may vary slightly)
1. Rum: 96 calories in 1.5 ounces (Bacardi Superior)
Note: But when you mix in sugary coke, that’s a whole other ballgame. Try rum (make sure it’s been chilled in the freezer) on the rocks with freshly squeezed lime instead. You might be surprised!
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you