A Simple Way to Slow Down Aging Skin

By ·
A Simple Way to Slow Down Aging Skin featured image
Photo Credits: Thinkstock

No skin is resistant to aging and while you can’t help but get older, you can prevent the speed at which your skin ages. We reached out to Los Angeles, CA, dermatologist, Howard Murad, MD, to find out how to tackle skin that’s a little more wrinkly and saggy than wed like.

So what’s Dr. Murad’s secret for slowing down the aging process? Hydration. “The more hydrated our cells are, the better our bodies are at resisting the damage that leads to premature aging and the less likely we are to have fine lines and wrinkles,” says Dr. Murad. While anti-aging skin care is definitely a piece of the puzzle, Dr. Murad says that topical products only address 20 percent of your skin, the other 80 percent is affected by what you eat and drink—dietary supplements included. So how should you tackle hydrating your skin from the inside out? 

You’ve heard before that your body needs eight glasses of water a day but Dr. Murad says sticking to a healthy, vegetable-based diet will keep your body well hydrated and minimize the amount of water you need to drink—something he refers to as “eating your water”. “Oftentimes, you lose valuable nutrients when the body is flushed with too much water and just find yourself running to the bathroom every five minutes. If you eat your water, you won’t need to count your glasses. Replace at least one glass of water a day with one serving of raw fruits or vegetables; you will be able to stay hydrated significantly longer,” he says.

Water-rich foods like fruits and veggies will help your body hold onto water longer and they will also give you an extra boost of important antioxidants and nutrients, critical for skin health. Also, eating healthy foods rich in healthy fats like and oils like eggs, salmon, black cod and walnuts will keep the complexion well-nourished and young-looking.

And as far as that other 20 percent—make sure you’re using products that work to hydrate the skin. “Look for products that contain hydrophilic ingredients like hyaluronic acid (to pull water to the skin) and hydrophobic ingredients like ceramides (to lock moisture in),” says Dr. Murad. Lecithin, hyaluronic filling spheres, honey extract, shea butter and borage seed oil are other great ingredients to look out for that help combat dehydration. “I also recommend using a rich moisturizer that contains super-hydrating and anti-inflammatory agents, such as avocado, sunflower and olive fruit oils for optimal hydration,” he says.

To learn more about addressing your aging skin, talk to your doctor about laser treatments like Thermage

C:fakepath51378 Cfakepathenter Now Copy

You might also be interested in: 

Find a Doctor

Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you

Give the Gift of Luxury

NewBeauty uses cookies for various reasons, including to analyze and improve its content and advertising. Please review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more about how we use this data. By continuing to use this site, you agree to these policies.