The outfits and makeup were nothing short of perfect at Sunday’s 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards. The star-studded red carpet was full of glamorous looks topped off by a wide array of stylish hairstyles. From long waves to ponytails, we got the scoop on our favorites and found out just how they were created so you can try them yourself.
Check out our favorite makeup looks from the Globes here.
Pictured: Jennifer Lawrence
1. To create this twenties-inspired red carpet look, Campora cocktailed OSiS Body Me Bodyifying Volume Serum and OSiS Hold Miracle Ultra Strong Cream Mousse and applied the mixture on wet hair from roots to ends. Campora explains, “The combination of these products will not only deliver a fuller ‘do but also offer protection against heat and creates a strong, smooth and touchable hold sans the stickiness.”
2. To infuse volume and shine, Campora dried hair with the new Sultra Temptress Power Dryer using a round brush.
3. Once hair was dry, he curled the entire head using the Sultra Bombshell One-Inch Rod Clipless Curling Iron, featuring Kyocera Ceramic Heater Technology to mend strands during the styling process.
4. Next he placed the daring middle part and pintucked curls, setting the look with OSiS Elastic Flexible Hold Hairspray to create the retro wave.
5. Campora unpinned curls, sprayed a thin brush with OSiS Freeze Strong Hold Hairspray and slicked back the sides to show off her face. To finish the look and infuse award-winning shine, he spritzed hair with OSiS Sparkler Shine Spray, a lightweight conditioning shine spray that was Campora’s secret weapon.
Campora was also responsible for Megan Fox’s sexy strands. “Megan wanted to have a moment on the red carpet, showing off a more confident, sophisticated and softer side,” says Campora.
1. Starting with wet hair, Renato Campora mixed styling standouts OSiS Body Me Bodyifying Volume Serum and OSiS Hold Miracle Ultra Strong Cream Mousse and applied the mixture from roots to ends.
2. Next Campora dried hair with the new Sultra Temptress Power Dryer using a round brush. “I love this new blow dryer from Sultra because it cuts down the drying time, locks in moisture and helps reduce frizz,” exclaims Campora.
3. To add a bit of definition, he curled ends with the Sultra Bombshell One-Inch Rod Clipless Curling Iron and locked the look with Schwarzkopf Professional’s top-selling styling product, OSiS Freeze Strong Hold Hairspray.
4. To achieve lust-worthy shine, Campora completed the look with OSiS Magic Anti-Freeze Shine Serum, which offers a beautiful smooth, silky-like glossy finish without weighing down hair.
Texture and volume were the key elements of Julianne Hough’s hair created by stylist Riawna Capri of Nine Zero One Salon. “Julianne’s dress was so beautiful and glamorous, we wanted to add a bit of edge with the hair and makeup to give a slight contrast that created the final overall look,” says Capri.
1. Julianne’s Hair was prepped with UNITE’s Blonda Shampoo & Condition to brighten the tone of Julianne’s blonde hair for the special event and followed with a ton of UNITE 7SECONDS Condition. UNITE 7Seconds was used to not only detangle and condition the hair, but the extreme amount helped to make the hair super clean and slippery to ensure that some hair fell out to add to the final edginess of the look.
2. For maximum root volume, UNITE EXPANDA Volume was applied 1-3 inches from the roots.
3. Hair was then round brushed with a UNITE Pro-System 74mm Round brush.
4. Once hair was dry, UNITE EXPANDA Dust was sprinkled throughout the root area on the top of the head
5. Starting in the back, Riawna used small, horizontal sections on the top of the head, backcombing the hair 1-2 inches from scalp to create instant volume. She then continued forward to the hairline leaving out the final front section. The final backcombed “mohawk” was clipped out of the way.
6. The sides were slightly teased throughout for added texture and volume.
7. A soft, natural parting in the hair was made on both sides near the temple area.
8. Each side was split into a top and bottom section. Each section was twisted into the back towards the nape, made into a mini ponytail and pinned.
9. Starting with the front 3 inches of the top section, Riawna twisted the hair over towards the left and pinned in place. The second section was then alternated to twist toward the right side and pinned in place. The alternating sections continued until the top section was complete creating a “twisted mohawk”.
10. Once hair was set in the general form, she sprinkled UNITE EXPANDA Dust on areas that still need more texture, pulled the hair slightly with fingers and rubbed together to create whispy strands
11. The look was finished with UNITE SESSION-Max Hairspray for extra strong hold to last all evening.
12. UNITE SHINA-Mist was applied for overall red-carpet shine.
Chris McMillan, Living Proof hairstylist styled Julianne Moore’s hair for the Globes. “It all started with the dress, Julianne showed me what she was wearing yesterday and I had 24 hours to figure out how to style her hair. Overall it was a ‘60s look – I have been watching a lot of Hitchcock lately. I took inspiration from the graphic clothing styles that are a trend this season paired with the hair I saw on the runways of Luis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs,” he said.
1. “I applied Living Proof Prime Style Extender, it gave me the sleek, smooth, healthy hair I needed for styling.
2. I then applied No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray to the crown to keep the hair looking smooth.
3. I dried the hair straight with a large round brush.
4. I created a deep side swept bang, and then pulled the hair back into a classic French twist with an uneven seam. Everything else about the look was so perfect and sleek that I wanted the seam to be a little deconstructed.
5. Finally, I secured the look and added Firm Hold hairspray to keep the hair in place.”
Vidal Sassoon Pro Series celebrity stylist Ben Skerv was inspired by old hollywood glamour for Rachel Weisz’s hair. Ben and Rachel channeled the 1930s with sexy, sleek waves that complemented her Louis Vuitton dress.
1. Starting with damp hair, apply Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray and blow-dry hair straight.
2. Once hair is dry, tuck hair behind left ear. On that same side, take small sections and curl hair down a 1-inch barrel curling iron. After 20 seconds, remove the iron and pin the section in a roll while it cools. Repeat this process until the whole head is curled.
3. Then, on the untucked side, repeat the same process but with a ½-inch curling iron to give a stronger wave around the face. Once all the hair cools, remove the pinned sections and brush hair into a soft, sexy wave.
4. To keep hair tucked behind the ear, apply a small amount of Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Mega Firm Hold Gel.
5. Lastly, lightly mist with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Extra Firm Hold Hairspray to hold the style in place, leaving it with a sleek, finished look.
Kate Hudson looked stunning on the red carpet. “I wanted to show off Kate’s healthy, shiny hair in a style that emphasizes her true Hollywood beauty,” says celebrity hairstylist David Babaii.
To achieve, David used IT&LY HAIRFASHION’S Purity Design Line that gives a natural, long-lasting hold which is perfect for beautiful results.
1. David started with IT&LY’s Pure Water Drops Serum before blow-drying.
2. Next, he added IT&LY’s Pure Style Mousse Strong and used a medium round brush at the root area to add volume then switching to a large round brush to smooth and create soft rounded edges.
3. After drying, David created a natural side part spritzing IT&LY’s Pure Volumizing Eco at the base for added lift and down the shaft for more piecey definition.
4. For her sexy fringe he wrapped the bang area around a medium round brush spraying a small amount of IT&LY’s Pure Volumizing Eco again.
5. With the blow dryer temperature on high, he directed heat on the brush followed by a quick blast of cool air to set. Gently he removed the brush to release the fringe.
6. With his fingers he combed through and allowed the hair to fall naturally into place.
7. To finish, he misted the hair with IT&LY Pure Definition Hair Spray for soft touchable hair with memory hold.
“Soft, voluptuous, healthy hair never looked more glamorous”, says Babaii.
Rosario Dawson’s modern glam look was styled by Kylee Heath using Vidal Sassoon Pro Series. Rosario and Heath chose to do a voluminous wave with a subtle side part to play off the modern glam of Rosario’s Antonio Berardi dress. He tucked her hair on the right side to showcase the gorgeous Lorraine Schwartz drop earring and the beautiful cut of the neckline.
1. First, he started out by prepping damp hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse, specifically at the roots, for lightweight volume.
2. Then, he spritzed sections from the mid shaft through the ends with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray.
3. Heath then took sections, starting at the nape of the neck, and blow-dried hair with a medium sized boar bristle round brush, mainly focusing on getting lift at the roots while smoothing out the ends.
4. He then curled 2-inch sized sections of hair using a 1¾-inch curling iron. After removing the iron, he lightly sprayed each curl with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray and then pinned each section in place. After curling all her hair and letting it cool, he unpinned and brushed each section out with a Mason Pearson brush.
5. To finish, he lightly teased the roots to create volume and sprayed her hair with hairspray to add sheen and to hold the look for the night.
For Tina Fey’s hair, Remington’s celebrity stylist Richard Marin went for a 40s Rita Hayworth style: soft S pattern waves. “Tina’s look this year was classic retro reboot! This look was inspired by her black and white L’Wren Scott cocktail dress.”
1. “Blow dry your hair and establish a side part.
2. Set the hair in hot rollers and stack the rollers from the side part one on top of the other so it’s a crown of curlers. Keep the crown area of head as flat as possible while the back length is set on large rollers.
3. After hair has cooled to room temperature, brush out several times pushing in the S pattern with your brush and keeping the hair as smooth as possible.
4. Spray a humidity resistant hair spray to protect from moisture and reduce the amount of frizz,” Main says.
Find a Doctor
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you