5 Holiday Hairstyle How-Tos
Credit: PR Photos
Not sure how to style your hair this holiday season? Take these celebrity inspirations and expert tips to style your hair just like the stars.
“I see winter hair trends moving into a slightly more groomed fashion. The look is not quite groomed to perfection but definitely more than the textured looks we have been seeing so much of these past few seasons. A beautiful shine will work extremely well with the hair moving in this direction. You can control how shiny the look is with the products you use,” says Sebastian Professional lead stylist Thomas Dunkin. “Groomed hair doesn’t have to mean overdone as you can see in these pictures. It’s important to be feminine as well as modern.”
Lily Collins’ Sexy and Sleek Straight Look
“This fall is all about shine and for Lily’s look we wanted the hair to be super straight with incredible shine,” says Dunkin.
1. Start by washing the hair with a light shampoo and conditioner for weightless volume and shine.
2. Next towel dry the hair and apply a hair serum to the lengths of the hair.
3. Next blow dry the hair straight and create a very precise middle part using a pintail comb.
4. Spritz a liberal amount of shine spray for added shine and slight hold.
Credit: PR Photos
Kate Hudson’s Full, Wavy Hair
“Wavy hair is incredibly versatile. It can be low-maintenance and care-free, tousled and sexy, or elegant and chic. However you choose to wear it, added clip-in hair pieces are great for obtaining extra volume and lift,” says celebrity stylist Kiyah Wright.
1. Apply the clip-in extension by starting at the nape of the neck and sectioning the hair straight across.
2. Tease the hair at the root where the clip-in will be fastened and spritz it lightly with hairspray. Then clip-in the extension. Apply as many pieces as desired while moving up towards the top of the head.
3. Then, take different sized sections of hair ranging in thickness from 1-2 inches and curl the hair beginning at the nape of the neck and ending at the top. Alternate the direction of the curl from one section to the next.
4. Spritz the hair with a medium hold hairspray.
For a care-free look, turn the head upside down and run your fingers through your roots for added movement.
For a tousled look, brush the hair out using a paddle brush and then turn your head upside down and run your fingers through your roots.
For refined waves, apply gel to the lengths of the hair for extra definition and hold.
Credit: PR Photos
Cameron Diaz's Elongated Pixie
“This longer spin on the pixie is hot for fall with its bold cut and texture,” says Nick Penna, owner and lead stylist of SalonCapri.
1. Begin this look in the shower with a protein-spiked shampoo for extra strength and shine.
2. Before blowdrying, run a volumizer through your hair using your fingers.
3. Use a round brush for the smoothest blow out. Nick says to blow-dry small sections of hair, beginning at the back of your head. This section is always the dampest, so tackle it first and then move to the front.
4. This look is all about how you style the cut. As you grow out your pixie cut, ask your stylist to add extra texture, so you can play up your hair’s layers and angles with your blow-dry and brush.
5. To finalize this look, you’ll want to use a weightless spray to define and hold.
Kim Kardashian’s Braided Bun
Penna breaks down the steps to a coiled braided bun hairstyle that he loves for both a daytime and evening look.
1. Carefully brush out all the knots in wet hair. Nick recommends that this hairstyle is easiest to start on smooth, untangled hair. When you’re in the shower, apply a dime-size drop of your favorite conditioner so that when you go to comb your wet hair, it doesn’t get caught in knots and break easily.
2. Apply a shape paste or gel to towel-dried hair. This product will help to keep the style in place and stop pieces from falling out as you begin to create the look.
3. Use a paddle brush to pull hair back into a tight ponytail and secure with an elastic; you want to make sure that you don’t miss any loose pieces of hair.
4. Begin braiding the ponytail into a regular braid and secure with another elastic.
5. Coil the braided ponytail around the base of the ponytail to form the bun and secure with bobby-pins every ½ inch of hair.
6. To make sure that the look stays sleek-and-chic, spray hairspray to keep hair in place for a night out on the town.
Credit: PR Photos
Elizabeth Banks’ Baroque-Inspired Chignon
“This fall we’re seeing a lot of baroque-inspired hair looks including updos, glitzy hair accessories and voluminous locks,” Dunkin explains.
1. Start by applying a generous amount of volumizng spray to the roots of the hair and a liberal amount of a light styling cream to the lengths of the hair.
2. Blow-dry the hair with a round brush and put each section into pin curls. Once the entire head is pinned, leave it too cool.
3. Once cooled, remove the pins and brush fingers through the hair to loosen the waves.
4. Use fingers to pull the hair back, leaving as much volume as possible, and pull it into a ponytail before twisting it into a nice, clean chignon.
4. For added shine and a light hold, spritz the finished look with a holding shine spray.
Michelle Williams’ Classic Pixie
“A short pixie style is a perfect look for fall. It’s sophisticated, fun and elegant,” Dunkin says.
1. Wash hair with a light shampoor and conditioner for lightweight conditioning and softness.
2. Apply styling cream to the lengths of damp hair and blow dry using a Denman brush, making sure to keep the hair as flat to the head as possible.
3. Emulsify sculpting cream in palms and use fingers to apply to the hair for added texture and movement.
4. Spritz a holding shine spray for lightweight hold and extra shine.
SPECIAL: The Secret to Discovering the Beauty Products That Are Right For You
More articles on Celebrity, Insider Tip, Hair, and Tips + Tutorials: