10 Holiday Nail Trends to Try Now
If you need a fun (and inexpensive) way to jazz up your little black dress this holiday season—the answer may already lie in your hands. Nail expert and Custom Nail Solutions president Katie Saxton told us how to create the ten hottest nail trends for the holidays:
1. Holiday Caviar Nails: Caviar nails are all the rage right now. For your caviar mani, you will need red nail polish, a jar of red microbeads, and a jar of green mircrobeads. Pour equal amounts of each jar of microbeads into a bowl and mix together. Then, paint your nails with a coat of red polish and let dry. Add one more coat of red to each nail and, while the polish is wet, hold your hand over a tray and pour the red and green microbeads on each nail. Gently pat the microbeads so they stick to the wet polish and let dry.
2. Seasonal Sideways French Mani: Sideway French manis will be the hottest nail trend in 2013, and can complete your holiday look. For this design, paint your nails green and let dry. Then, paint a vertical stripe of red polish along either the right or left edge of each nail, sticking to the same side for all of the nails. After painting the vertical lines, add a coat of clear topcoat to each nail.
3. Festive Holiday Colors: Red polish will make you look fabulous at every holiday festivity! Green polish is also a fantastic option that celebrates holiday staples like holly leaves and Christmas trees. Aside from these colors, nail polishes with cranberry hues will be huge this season, as they celebrate holiday traditions like cranberry sauce and cranberry-scented candles.
4. Festive Foil Nails: Who says glossy wrapping paper should only adorn holiday gifts? Wrap up your nails with shiny green and red foils for a fabulous holiday look! To do this dazzling nail style, you must first purchase red and green nail foils online (try these) and have nail glue and a clear topcoat on hand. For the first nail, apply a coat of nail glue and let dry for 30 seconds to one minute, then press the red nail foil down. Run a Q-tip over the foil so it sticks, then peel off the foil’s clear backing. Repeat these steps for the rest of the nails, alternating between using green and red foil. Once finished, apply a coat of clear topcoat to each nail.
5. Gold Nail Polish: The holidays are a time for gold ornaments and gold wrapping paper, and this color will be the season’s go-to polish for your nails.
6. Dark Nails: Dark nails like blue and black will be popular this holiday season. Also, no holiday party is complete without yummy brownies and chocolate truffles, and you can celebrate these festive sweets with dark brown and espresso polishes.
7. Holiday Crackle: Paint each nail red and let dry, then add one coat of green “crackle” polish over each red nail. The red will peak through the “cracks” in the green polish, creating a fun and festive holiday effect!
8. Sweater Nails: The holiday season is a time for snuggly sweaters and delicious hot chocolate. Paint your nails with a topcoat, then sprinkle red and green flocking powder on each nail. Gently tap each nail to make the flocking powder stick.
9. Candy Cane Nails: Candy canes are a staple treat during the holidays. The candy’s stripe design is also perfect for your nails. Paint your nails red and let dry, then, using a white nail polish pen, paint parallel diagonal lines in different widths across each nail. Use a silver nail polish pen to add thin, shimmering silver lines between the white stripes.
10. Metallic Nail Polish: Shiny nail polishes will be seen everywhere this winter season. Choose red, green, and purple metallic polishes to complete your holiday look!
For other ideas, click here.